AUTHOR: Beth TITLE: DATE: 1/15/2004 04:49:00 PM ----- BODY:
You Have 51 New Messages, 51 Unheard Winter is giving me terrible dandruff. It's horrible. Little crusts and flakes of my scalp are collecting in drifts on my shoulders and on my unfortunately dark navy Patriots fleece I've been forced to wear all day at work today because it's freezing in this building. Apparently this is only going to get worse. Apparently Kellie isn't going to have to work tomorrow because of it. Apparently tomorrow it's going to be 34 below. Apparently, in such conditions, skin freezes in 10 minutes. Apparently, I'm still going to have to come in to work tomorrow anyway. I braved the cold today to go to Friendly's for lunch. The women who waitress there are very kind to me. I think they feel sorry for me because I always come in alone. The one time I went there with someone else (Michele), the waitress seemed to be genuinely, personally happy for me that I had a friend. The way they hush around me and call me "dear" and "hon" it's more like they're nurses than waitresses. Although I think there are similarities between the two professions. I like to go to Friendly's and hunch over a book and eat their Chicken Parmagiana Sandwich. Today something disturbing happened there, though. The waitress I had didn't come near my table until I was on the second to last page of my book and I needed to get back to work in fifteen minutes. Then when she did she said with a nervous laugh, "Oh! I forgot you were here." Last night Tim and I played Truck Dismount. It's a game involving chance, the rules of physics, a truck, and the human taste for cruelty, which basically means it's like Real Life (tm) itself, but we found it an escape anyway, probably because of how many variables there were--you could sit the little white faceless man on top of the truck's trailer, on top of the cab, on the hood, inside, or between the truck and the wall. Yeah, there was a wall, too. That the truck would run into. You could also add and reposition ramps. Because the game uses RealTime Physics (tm), even if all the controls are set to the same levels, no two Dismounts will be alike--meaning the little man never gets squashed, crunched, launched, whipped, scraped, mooshed, thrown, rolled over, flattened, battered or flung the same way as the last Dismount. Which basically means that it's a game a mean-spirited monkey could play, but it entertained Tim and me for the better part of two hours last night. It's kind of an interesting concept, though, despite its simplicity: even with every circumstance the same, no two events have the same outcome or even the same attributes. You can smash the little guy in the truck at the same speed, ramp position, body position, and truck configuration every time and one time he'll get pancaked on the wall and another time he'll get thrown back into the cab through the windshield. Try it a third time and he'll get dropped under the wheels right away and get dragged on the ground. Try it yet again, same precise settings, and he'll get thrown over the cab and fall off the trailer. Try it just one more time and... It's the kind of concept that makes me sit and think really, really hard for about five solid minutes. Seriously, you should try it. What applications does this have for a life outside of a 3-D video game? Discuss.
--------