DATE: 2/06/2004 12:09:00 PM
Get Hold of Yourself, Woman!
Janet Jackson's right breast:
Brought to you the first time accidentally,
by AOL High-Speed and the NFL.
Brought to you every other time since
on purpose, by self-righteous,
Woman files lawsuit over Super Bowl
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - Terri Carlin wants to make Janet Jackson's bare breast into a federal case.
Carlin filed a proposed class action lawsuit in U.S. District Court Wednesday against Jackson, singer Justin Timberlake, broadcasters MTV and CBS and their parent company, Viacom.
Carlin alleges that she and others who watched the halftime show during Sunday's Super Bowl were injured by the performers' lewd actions when Timberlake ripped off part of Jackson's costume, exposing her breast.
In the lawsuit, Carlin charges that the exposure and "sexually explicit conduct" by other performers during the show injured viewers.
"As a direct and proximate result of the broadcast of the acts, (Carlin) and millions of others saw the acts and were caused to suffer outrage, anger, embarrassment and serious injury," the lawsuit says.
Top Ten Reasons I am DISGUSTED by "Boobgate":
10. The legal ramifications. Who, if this suit is not thrown out of court, let alone actually won, stands to collect?
9. The example being set by a parent who thinks suing a performer because she was offended is a) something she has
a perfect right to be doing and b) the way to deal with having been offended.
8. Janet Jackson, as the Daily Show pointed out, isn't even the most controversial person in her family--and yet she's
being treated as such.
7. Janet probably wanted all of this to happen. That pisses me off even more. Don't think I'm letting her off the hook
6. No one's catching on to the fact that whenever something atrocious has happened in entertainment for at least the
past five years, Justin Timberlake and / or Kid Rock have been involved somehow.
5. Tagliabue delayed Tommy's MVP press conference to talk about this nonsense.
4. An ugly, terrible, baseless, meaningless, deadly war being fought by a man is perfectly suitable for America's children
to watch on television. A woman's breast is so dirty and shameful it inspires a lawsuit.
3. Think about the sheer number of things our court system COULD be being used for. Such as suing corporations that
dump hazardous materials into our environment. After all--who is more injured? An athsmatic child from Houston or
an affronted mom from Nashville?
2. It means people have long ago stopped thinking about the Patriots' astounding Super Bowl win--and perhaps the
best Super Bowl game ever played.
1. Janet Jackson's Breast: On TV 1.5 seconds.
Controversy over Janet's Breast: On TV going on 7 days now.