AUTHOR: Beth TITLE: DATE: 2/17/2004 07:22:00 PM ----- BODY:
Go Figure I am going to try my ass off not to just blog about the Sox like I did last fall. I know not all of you out there in my own personal blogland are interested in that, and let's face it, if you want to read an incredibly written Red Sox blog--and if you're smart--you'd read Bambino's Curse. So here, in quick, verbal-diarrhea fashion, is all the news that's fit to print about me. Monday I suddenly decided to get off my fat fucking ass and job hunt and apartment hunt and all the stuff I'd been avoiding even thinking about while I've been doing my ostrich impression for the last few months. "I hadn't heard from you in so long," the guy at the Sun told me, "That I killed your name from our contacts list." That's how he remembered me when I said who I was. Sigh. But the good news is that he's going to give me another shot. So I'm going to (hopefully) be writing some things for the Sun soon. We'll see. Another iron in the fire is that I ran into Charles, a friend of Kellie's that just won the Regional Met Competition, and his story is so interesting I'm pitching it to Globe Living / Arts. That's if I can get them to take it, and if I can get Charles to answer his phone... Meanwhile during my job hunting I came across an ad in Craigslist for Rawstory, a new website meant to be an alternative to The Drudge Report. I sent over a letter and got a response back from none other than John Byrne, who I went to middle school with (he went to private high school). He's also my family doctor's son. So I guess you never know where those connections will come from. Speaking of which, Heidi responded to my email praising her artwork. Turns out she's a cool person in addition to a gifted artist. Seriously. Go to her website. Right now. And, finally, I'm trying what amounts to a vague approximation of the Atkins Diet. So, essentially, all of a sudden I'm vomiting forth productivity. I'm currently revising my first short story in months (and the first probably ever that I've felt is any good). I have a goal of writing at least one a week--not sure how well that'll work. And, like you probably are, I'm thinking, what the fuck? I mean, what the hell happened to me? What was that weird little slump thing there? And why was shrugging it off so insurmountably hard even a month ago, and then this week it's been as easy as simply standing up? Trust me, I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth. If I've found my feet, I'm running with it, no questions asked. But part of me is still freaked out by it. I mean, what happened? Oh, well, it's over now. Back and forth, those pendulum thoughts in my head. As usual I have an overwhelming need to dissect and analyze every single little morsel of experience that crosses my path. As usual this has the strong propensity to get me into trouble. As usual, this tendency may even be the reason I'm looking for to explain the fallow period in question. Some of you may notice, also, that I've changed the subtitle of this blog (If not, look to your left, doofus). Basically what I put up there reflects my new attitude. It is what it is. That's my mantra--or at least that's what I want my mantra to be. Things just are.
--------