AUTHOR: Beth TITLE: DATE: 2/16/2004 10:01:00 PM ----- BODY:
In Tim's bathroom there's been the same reading material pretty much since he moved to the apartment in Lowell with his Dad, the same trivia books and mechanical magazines, and one of them is a sweet old book of facts from the 1960's that I've found myself looking at in there countless times. Tonight when I was looking at it I read the most amazing thing: that baby puffins are overfed by their parents until they are morbidly obese, and then the parents fly away and leave them on an ice floe. The baby puffins have that literal cushion against starvation as they learn to survive on their own, and since they're so fat, they can't follow them. By the time they are thin enough to leave, they have the skills they need to make it. Why is that so eerily familiar to me?
--------