AUTHOR: Beth TITLE: DATE: 2/05/2004 04:47:00 PM ----- BODY:
Ring Around the Rosy
Now that the Super Bowl's over, let's just say the Democratic Primaries are kind of a letdown.
Now that the Red Sox have, predictably, fucked up, and the Patriots have, predictably, kicked ass and taken names, it's sad to admit, but...I'm kinda bored. With the only sports I care about no longer taking up the majority of my mental energy, I find there's a void left in my day. A shallow one, one that will quickly be filled, of course, but a void nonetheless. I'm sure I'll find something else to think about, though, if only because it's better than having to watch the Celtics or the Bruins. Or having to think about Red Sox Spring Training, which makes me feel like the great big fat guy in Monty Python's The Meaning of Life with the waiter standing over him going, "But it's just a little mint, sir." I've begun to notice, now that the mania has dissipated, certain changes in the light. Many mornings I jolt awake early, sure I've overslept because there's too much sunlight around the edges of the windowshades. As I leave work later on the sky is lighter and lighter with every new afternoon. And the temperatures, while probably still harsh, are by comparison with last month very mild. It's not here yet, but you can feel spring starting to creep into the air. And so it goes. I've been doing this blog for two years this month, have been cataloguing every day and every month and every year, and so this is the second time spring has begun to creep in, and the second time summer has followed, and the it will again be the second time that fall has begun and winter has followed, which will lead to the third, which will lead to the fourth, which will lead God knows where. The seasons are at their midpoint, suspended in midair like the top cars of a Ferris Wheel, swinging and waiting. People are starting to get excited. Even if they don't mention it you can see a spring returning to people's step, if you'll pardon the pun. People get giddy thinking about March, because after that is April, and after that is May, and it makes me step back and wonder where these people get their affection for sunlight. It's wired in to most normal people, but to me it seems foolish, the fascination of a very simple child, to keep watching the calendar flipping by and thanking the gods that be when the same month comes cycling back through, and then the next, and then the next just like always. Watching the world fling itself around in its same nonsensical circles doesn't seem to be something worth partying about. But what do I know. I'm nuts. And really, even I get caught up in it sometimes, walking out the office door and taking a longer than usual breath of the air. Smelling that weird dryer-sheet smell of spring bubbling up from just under the surface of the old, dirty snowbanks and the sand-covered parking lots and from under the tires of the salt-encrusted cars. I get caught up in it just like everyone, even though it always makes me think--for some reason--of a primitive ape standing dumbfounded outside his cave, mutely, perplexedly looking up at the stars.
--------