AUTHOR: Beth TITLE: DATE: 4/05/2004 08:40:00 AM ----- BODY:
I am very proud of this article. Covering Planning Board meetings finally earned me something in return: the experience I had covering that story on Saturday was among the most rewarding I have yet had in journalism, and the kind of thing that reminds me why I want to be a reporter in the first place. Why I want to be a reporter is not because I am necessarily a news junkie. I'm more of a reading and writing junkie, when it comes right down to it, and I enjoy a good story. But am I salivating to be the first to the scene of a gunshot wound? Am I turned on by rabidly sticking a tape recorder in the face of a grieving parent? Am I rubbing my palms over the next political scandal? No. What I'm interested in are people like Dennis Maher. People whose presence make you stand back in awe. Being in a room with him on Saturday was like being near the Dalai Lama--someone whose life has been so incredible, so something you and I cannot possibly relate to, that he was treated with a reverence I've only seen given men of God. If there is a God, Dennis Maher is a man of God. What an incredible experience. Emily Dickinson once said that you knew a good book when it felt like the top of your head was going to come off. That's how I feel about some of the people and stories I encounter on an everyday basis. It's just a special treat when I get to write about them, too.
--------