AUTHOR: Beth TITLE: DATE: 5/30/2004 04:54:00 PM ----- BODY:

Chuck and Nip / Tuck

Several things have come to my attention in the past couple of days that made me pant and salivate like a little dog taunted with bacon. First, Chuck is coming out with a new book on June 15. What makes me happiest about this is not just that it's a new Chuck book (although he could write a new version of the phone book and I'd probably read it). It's also a new Chuck book in one of my favorite literary forms: creative nonfiction. It's one thing, you see, to create a piece of fiction--to write your own world with your own set of rules. It's another to take this one, in all its banal glory, and relate experiences both truthfully and in a way that holds a reader's interest longer than a long-distance phone bill. Chuck has already confessed that many of his celebrated characters are not his creation. "You can meet Tyler Durden," he said once in an interview. "He lives out in a cabin in the woods somewhere in Montana." Now, maybe we will meet the real Tyler. Meanwhile, the latest in the litany of comletely underappreciated television shows it seems I'm bound by fate to become addicted to until they are inevitably cancelled, Nip / Tuck, is finally being released on DVD, also on June 15. The whole week, in fact, between June 15 to the 22, looks to be big for me: not only will Nip / Tuck's first season be released on DVD, but on the 22nd its second season will debut. And, finally, while bumming around the house this morning I saw a commercial that had me reaching for the phone immediately to shriek "omigod!" at someone: I love the 90's will be coming to VH1. When? June, of course. The person I called happened to be Andy, who seemed kind of shifty and uncomfortable as I babbled at him about I Love the 90's and how he was required to come watch it with me, and finally he told me he was in the car on the way to the River Rave (which I would have gone to with him, of course, but for logistical problems). "O...kay...?" I said, meaning, how does that preclude you talking to me? Then he coughed up the rest of the story. "Nik's in the car." he said, meaning, Just forget I told you that. "Nik who?" I said, knowing exactly which Nik it was--the one spelled without a "c", of course. "Nik Carter," he replied. Nik Carter, for those of you who don't know, is the flagship DJ for WBCN, where Andy works. He's the guy who does the afternoon commute on weekdays, who has the highest-rated afternoon FM radio show in Boston, who gets to interview Tom Brady every Thursday of football season live on the air. Nik Carter is kind of a big deal. And this morning, apparently, he ended up in Andy Hicks' Volkswagen Jetta headed for the River Rave. How, I still can't quite figure. But I thought it was hilarious. Immediately after raking Andy over the coals, I called Kellie to alert her of the opportunity to bust on Andy, which she always appreciates. "So let me get this straight," she chortled. "Andy. Is in the car. With Nik Carter? What bet did Nik lose?" Andy, you know we only tease because we love. So, yes, it looks like June will bring much happiness before it's over and it's been a decent weekend so far. Decent enough, in fact, to take my mind off the fact that I still live with my parents for oh, about five total minutes. And with a Sox game to attend tomorrow, here's to another ten!
--------