AUTHOR: Beth TITLE: DATE: 8/30/2004 03:15:00 PM ----- BODY:

A Whole Other Can Of Worms

Steve and I found these T-shirts in Newport on Saturday, and I bought each of us one. Bought one for each of us? Bought one of each for...never mind. Anyways, they are cool. Mine has a naked mermaid on the back. I plan to wear it to the Hopkinton Fair on Friday. I can't wait for the fair. I've been looking forward to it since July. Ask anyone. I can't wait for the smell of french fry lard and straw and cow manure and diesel fuel. I can't wait for old-school Metallica T-shirts on the midway. I can't wait for the pungent leather booths with their gigantic engraved knives and dream catchers and wolf t-shirts. I can't wait for the blank stare of the cattle in the barns, the sweet fresh ice cream from the 4-H stand, from milk taken the same day. The cheese stand that gives you free samples of extra-sharp cheddar till your tongue stings. But most of all, I can't wait for the Free-for-All Horse Pulling on Friday night. Draft horses the size of dinosaurs slamming into leather collars, puffing and stamping and hauling a steel "boat" loaded with concrete blocks six feet, may the best team of two gigantic beasts and scrawny, chain-smoking rednecks pushing on their great rumps with two yellowed hands and whistling through gappy teeth win. I have yet to meet anyone outside my family who shares my affection for this sport? game? event? pastime? Cain't figger out why.
--------