AUTHOR: Beth TITLE: You've Got to Hide Your Love Away DATE: 10/11/2004 08:05:00 PM ----- BODY:

I can't compartmentalize anymore. Posted by Hello
There are several reasons I have been absent from this blog lately. First, ironically enough, this blog has become more visible. Which opens up the possibility that someone I don't want to see it will--namely anyone remotely involved with my employment. Having two jobs only complicates that further. Meanwhile, I spend an estimated 85% of my time working. So if I can't write about that, I don't have much left over. This doesn't mean I'm not still writing, though. In fact, I'm writing my ass off. It's just that right now, it's all about the Red Sox. So, yes, there are logistical reasons for my shoddy posting rate here, but if we are to be brutally honest, the main reason for abdication of any of my duties of late is the sad yet true fact that I have fallen completely, hopelessly in love with a baseball team. It's almost like being in love with a person, at least in the way that it makes you slightly dreamy and distracted, saying like a character in a cheesy old film, "I can't sleep, I can't eat, I can't think about anything but you." I thought I cared last year. I had no idea what I was talking about. This year, I've followed the season from day one. I've probably watched 100+ games, and when you work more than 60 hours a week, that's a trick. I've gone through early worries about Pedro's velocity to the Great Nomar Saga to the blissful days of a huge win streak in August that catapulted them to the play-- You don't care about this. If you did, you'd be reading my other blog to begin with. Well, anyway. For those of you who are in any way amenable to the emotional roller coaster of following a star-crossed baseball team through a journey toward the Promised Land, you'll probably want to make sure I'm still alive this week by checking here. If you're one of those people who would rather chew tinfoil than think about sports, though, you'll just have to wait a week to see whether or not the Red Sox finally bring about my untimely death. (If you're really desperate, though, you can check out the Photo Blog.)
--------