AUTHOR: Beth TITLE: Secret DATE: 11/24/2004 10:43:00 AM ----- BODY:
I've had this song in my head all day today:
I'm here where I want to be Seven thousand miles from infinity No one knows where I am. It's quiet here with me I'm filling in the spaces where the killings used to be There's no phone and no way home It's been a long time coming It's been a long time I'm here where I want to be Seven thousand miles from infinity No one knows where I am but me
It's a beautiful song, called "Secret", by Meryn Cadell. You should check it out. Meanwhile, as I was looking Meryn up the better to have a linky thing for those of you who haven't heard of her, I stumbled across her livejournal which contains the following passage:
Here's the news: Over the past couple of years, I have transitioned from a female kind of person to a male kind of person. This has brought me tremendous peace of mind, and a sense of finally being at home in my body. My name is the same, and will always be the same. I am proud of who I've been and what I've accomplished in my life this far, and want my life to be one contiguous exploration. It's all been good. I have not forsaken one thing to "gain" another. In fact, I haven't forsaken anything. In some ways, this may seem like a monumental shift - and in some ways, of course, it is. The largest shift is the just the grokking- for me and for those who know me - that gender is truly fluid. Once I was past that, this transition has been simple in the extreme. I just feel more like me. Small shifts in my self create one whole and happy person. Makes me think of optometry tests where the doctor shows you several blurry and separate objects on the screen and asks you to indicate when they resolve. Slowly, lenses turn, clicks are heard, and then aahhhh: one solid image. This is me.
And, look, I love Meryn's music and all, but this pisses me off. She's more than entitled to her opinion that gender is fluid, but I don't share it. It's not that I don't accept transsexuality, but that I consider it much more of a personal leap or the result of some kind of genetic wire-crossing than a lifestyle choice. And I had felt listening to her music up until recently that she was a wonderful, powerful, feminist woman with a great sense of humor...and now you're going to tell me that means she's really a man? What the hell does that say? Sigh. I don't know why I feel so put out by this. It's her life, it's her business, I'm not in a position to condemn or condone--it's not all about me, but this blog is, and this whole thing just makes me feel like...I don't know.
--------