AUTHOR: Beth TITLE: It's Not Even the Past DATE: 12/17/2004 01:08:00 PM ----- BODY:
I have a very strange relationship with my past in that it continues to surround me. I live one town over from where I grew up and went to school; most of my close friends are people I went to high school with (some of them, I also went to middle school and / or elementary school with). But there are still people I never see anymore, people I had intense, colorful, crazybeautiful relationships with back in the day, people I had some of the most awe-filled experiences of my life with, not any major milestone, really, but memories full of bad Chinese food and surprise fireworks and rusted land-boats screaming toward New Hampshire at 75 miles an hour... The other day, as I was writing my little rant about Nine Inch Nails, I was wondering about some people in particular that are still around (I visit all of their websites at least occasionally), and I wonder if they ever think of the music we used to listen to, or if they've moved on to new things. I wonder if I'm the only one who remembers a night of driving back when drivers' licenses were the Ticket To Cool and this song:
This bed is on fire With passionate love The neighbors complain about the noises above But she only comes when she's on top My therapist said not to see you no more She said you're like a disease without any cure She said I'm so obsessed that I'm becoming a bore, oh no Ah, you think you're so pretty Caught your hand inside the till Slammed your fingers in the door Fought with kitchen knives and skewers Dressed me up in women's clothes Messed around with gender roles Dye my eyes and call me pretty Moved out of the house, so you moved next door I locked you out, you cut a hole in the wall I found you sleeping next to me, I thought I was alone You're driving me crazy, when are you coming home
...or maybe this one:
When I'm walking I strut my stuff Man I'm so strung out I'm high as a kite I just might stop to check you out Let me go on Like a blister in the sun Let me go on Big hands I know you're the one Body of beats I stain my sheets I dont't even know why My girlfriend she's at the end She is starting to cry
Are you out there? When you hear these songs, do I come to your mind?
--------