AUTHOR: Beth TITLE: Blog Interviews, Part IV DATE: 2/10/2005 11:37:00 AM ----- BODY:
Leslie of Singular Existence: How did you get into blogging? Singular Existence was born on a steamy July day in 2003. I was bored and surfing the Internet instead of working on my book and started reading about this thing called “blogging” (which I quickly discovered was NOT pronounced “bee-logging”). I thought to myself, “Hmmm…an opportunity to pontificate at length, in writing, publicly? I’m in!” Five minutes later, I had a blog. Seriously, though. I became a professional writer quite late in life (well, late, that is, compared to other people who have been at it since they got out of college) and I have a lot of lost time to make up for if I want to be published before I die. Securing a rabid Internet following is one way for us non-dues-payers to attract a fan base and the subsequent attention of discerning literary agents. As for why I went the "blog" route, when I started this little adventure, I had no HTML skills, so I turned to the nice folks at Salon.com who offered a prepackaged blogging tool plus server space for a very low fee. After a couple of months, I got bored with the Salon format and found a cheap, simple website building program and built out the site, registered the domain name, and pointed my Salon blog to the new site. Technically, my site isn’t really a blog anymore, but I still call it that because I like the blogging community and want to stay a part of it. What do you think was your best post ever? Well, they’re all so good it’s hard to choose...but from a sentimental perspective my personal favorite is “Objects of Affection,” a piece I wrote about having to throw away my old sofa. My best piece (i.e., most marketable) is “The Rules of Diss-Engagement,” the non-confrontationist’s guide to navigating the wild and wacky world of romantic rejection. My most popular (and quickly becoming my most-read and most-forwarded) piece is the recent “He’s Just a Big Fat Asshole,” a response to the current “blame-the-victim” self-help fad. What is your favorite blog, other than your own? Why, yours, of course! I adore Tom Burka’s “Opinions You Should Have,” read “The Washington Monthly” and “World O’Crap” compulsively, and have been known to chuckle at the rantings of “The Rude Pundit” (but not at work...you could get fired for reading it in the office!) Does your blog have a main theme or goal? Theme: Me! It’s all about ME! My opinions, my experiences, my proclamations on the state of the world, and my rules as to how the rest of the world should conduct itself in my presence. Goal: Fame, fortune, and lots of TV guest appearances. So far I’m 0 for 3. Do those in your personal life know about your blog? Why or why not? Everyone except my parents. I live in constant fear that they are going to learn to Google, discover my secret, and disown me. In general, do you think blogging has a greater social value? Well, my blog certainly does! But, in general, it depends on the purpose of the blog and how well the blog fulfills that purpose. If your goal is to amuse, entertain, or inform, the value of your blog is solely dependent on the degree to which you achieve your goal. On the other hand, some people blog just to connect with other people by sharing their own thoughts and experiences, which is also cool. Blogs that serve no purpose are those that are poorly written (god, how I hate that!It’s “their,” not “they’re,” people!!) and those written by people who blog solely to advance a particular agenda and spread false information/rumors. Those individuals drag the rest of us down and make us look like pathetic amateurs. Lastly, what do you think of my blog? It makes me like you as a person. You express yourself extremely well, make me laugh, and hold my interest. Those are the qualities I look for in the people I surround myself with, and those are the qualities I look for when I read blogs.
--------