AUTHOR: Beth TITLE: Blog Interviews, Part IX DATE: 2/11/2005 06:28:00 AM ----- BODY:
Dan of Popping Culture How did you get into blogging? Well, I read a lot of blogs before the election, and started to despair at how angry everyone was, on both sides. Whenever a news story broke, it was automatically interpreted differently by both sides, regardless of the facts. So, I thought a nice, easygoing, highly sarcastic take on the world around us, particularly the pop culture world, would be welcome. I had a relatively small, but very loyal readership until I was re-diagnosed with cancer and started adding my reflections on that to the mix. Something connected, and numbers have been up. I guess suffering is universal and response to suffering can help beyond the individual struggle. What do you think was your best post ever? I put a lot of work into some of the more light-hearted ones, but I would have to say that since the late-stage cancer has come on me, I've done some of my best work. I congregate the cancer-related posts in a topic heading in the right sidebar for those who want to jump past the silliness, but those get the most comments. This post in particular got some decent feedback. What is your favorite blog, other than your own? No-brainer, I read every word on Sheila's site every day. Does your blog have a main theme or goal? Reflections on popular culture, literature, poetry and goofy pictures with a dash of cancer reflection and update tossed in. Do those in your personal life know about your blog? They didn't at first. It was my way of having something that was just for me. Then, after the severity of my cancer became clear, I opened it up and now MOST folks know about it, although I steer members of the church I pastor clear of it, since I sometimes say things I mean. In general, do you think blogging has a greater social value? As with everything, it is what you make of it. For some, it is a healthy, creative outlet. For others, it is a way to feel safe while spitting venom and hiding behind made-up names. For these people, and the people who read their comments, blogging is de-humanizing. Above all else, I hope my blog is HUMAN. Lastly, what do you think of my blog? I think it is no exhaggeration to say that your blog is the greatest gift ever given to humanity. God must exist, because your blog clearly displays workings and blessings far beyond the movement of normal humans. I think that reading your blog should not just be highly suggested, but it should be an actual obligation.
--------