AUTHOR: Beth TITLE: Blog Interviews, Part VIII DATE: 2/11/2005 06:19:00 AM ----- BODY:
Cecily from and I wasted all that birth control...: How did you get into blogging? It was just a year ago when I was prowling through a fertility bulletin board and someone posted a link to Chez Miscarriage and Dooce (on the sperm donors board. What was I doing there?). I'd never read blogs before, and was immediately hooked. At the same time, I was sending these long funny emails to my friends about the various stages of my infertility treatments, and it wasn't long before one thing led to another. What do you think was your best post ever? Oh holy crap, how would I know? I'm very proud of this one because I did a lot of research for it, and it led into some amazing discussions on two other blogs. But my blog entries are so unbelievably personal, I'm not sure they have much in the way of merit at all. What is your favorite blog, other than your own? Lordy. I read like 50 a day now, and wouldn't miss any of them. I love Dooce, naturally, because she makes me laugh every day. I love This Woman's Work because she talks about writing (which I do) and other topics I wouldn't normally think about. I adore Grrl. Julia kills me. I'd have to say, though, my two favorites are Sad and Beautiful World and It Ain't All Pizzas and Cream because they are written by the two people that I love most on the planet, my best friend and my husband. Does your blog have a main theme or goal? Well, yeah. Infertility was the driving factor, but politics and spirituality have become bigger topics than I expected when I set out. Do those in your personal life know about your blog? Why or why not? Most everyone does, except blood relations. My mother will have to be told someday, and I'm dreading it, because I have no intention of deleting what I've written about her. My job doesn't know, but I did delete any job references recently (other than glowing ones) because my traffic has gotten pretty heavy and I don't want to get dooced. In general, do you think blogging has a greater social value? Well, yeah, I guess I do. As an extention of the "Donahue-ing" of our culture (remember Donahue? The first talk show to mention all the unmentionables like rape, incest, etc? He spawned Oprah, and sadly, Jerry Springer), blogging allows us to reveal deep personal feelings and get feedback with the safety of relative anonymity. Do I think it's going to change the world? Oh, hell no. But I know other bloggers have changed my mood, my day, sometimes even my week. For better and worse. I think that's why it's important, but remember, I'm coming from the personal side of blogging, not the political. That's a whole other ball of wax. Although I did manage to swing some voters with my story... so there's that. Lastly, what do you think of my blog? Honey, you crack my shit up.
--------