AUTHOR: Beth TITLE: Memories, of the Way We Were DATE: 2/11/2005 12:10:00 PM ----- BODY:

HIGH SCHOOL QUIZ

Got this from the Redhead. What year was it? 1993-1998 What were your three favorite bands (performers)? Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, and Metallica. What was your favorite outfit? I went through a little "Baby Goth" phase. My favorite outfit at the time was a pair of electric-blue tights under fishnet stockings, a pair of steel-toed black boots, a silver velour skirt, a Nine Inch Nails T-shirt over purple long underwear, purple lipstick, body glitter and a TON of black eyeliner. I was adorable. What was up with your hair? Sometimes I'd put little braids in it that I'd then coat with glitter, to give it texture and make it look more "punk". Other times I just wore it plain. I never dyed my hair, because my parents wouldn't let me, and let's face it, I really wasn't that much of a rebel. Who were your best friends? Kathleen and Andy Mannone What did you do after school? Came home, watched General Hospital, snacked, did homework into the wee hours (again, not a rebel). Where did you work? The public library. I'm pretty sure you get the point about the rebel thing now. Did you take the bus? Oh yeah. Called it the "Cheez Wagon." My friend Mike that I'd known since kindergarten and I would always sit together and talk about the brutal and gruesome ways we'd exterminate all the stupid people. We were cool. Who did you have a crush on? Crushes? These were not crushes. These were overwhelming, life-shattering, earth-quaking, drama-filled, slightly crunchy things. Things with people. Not on people. I had a lot of those *hee hee OMG HE TOTALLY LIKES U!!!!11!* things in Middle School. You know, the ones where people would be "going out" who would never be in the same room together. In high school there was a lot more in-depth mindfucking. Did you fight with your parents? Boy, did I ever. Who did you have a CELEBRITY crush on? Michael Trent Reznor, nee Mercer, PA, mastermind of the GREATEST BAND IN HISTORY Nine Inch Nails. I LOVED his pasty Gothic ass. This girl and I used to pass notes that were essentially fanfic back and forth in class. About Trent Reznor. And how we wanted to have sex with him. We were awesome. Did you smoke cigarettes? No, although my high school went into "lockdown mode" sometime around my sophomore year wherein all the bathrooms were locked at all times and one had to get a teacher to open the door for you so you could pee. This was not helpful to me that one time I made a sprint for the bathroom with puke barreling up my esophagus like a freight train. Good times. Did you lug all of your books around in your backpack all day because you were too nervous to find your locker? No, I lugged all my books around in my backpack all day because I was too BUSY and IMPORTANT to get to my locker. As an upperclassman, I stored my books in the chorus room because that was TEH COOL thing to do. Did you have a ‘clique’? Band / Chorus / Music / Drama geeks. Although I was also an Egghead, in all honors classes. And I hung out with some of the Degenerates in that whole "goth / punk" scene. I worked the crowd, baby. Did you have “The Max” like Zach, Kelly, and Slater? No, Denny's didn't come along till later. Closest thing we had to that was the chorus room. Admit it, were you popular? Yes and no. In terms of having a lot of friends, yes. In terms of being, like, the high school equivalent of Paris Hilton? NFW. Who did you want to be just like? There were a few girls I was jealous of, a few rockstars or writers that I admired, but I don't recall ever wanting to be "just like" one particular person. I wanted to be different. What did you want to be when you grew up? A musician or a writer. Where did you think you’d be at the age you are now? Performing on Broadway, writing bestsellers, or working at some Fortune 500 company in a power suit. But I could never have envisioned what the next six years would be like. Never. Looking back on it now, I love my high school self. I really do. I loved high school, too. Well, most of it, anyway. Or, perhaps more truthfully, I love it now in comparison to since then. I had kind of the opposite experience from most people I have gone on to meet: loved high school, HATED HATED HATED college. But that's another survey.
--------