AUTHOR: Beth TITLE: WWYD? DATE: 3/24/2005 12:07:00 PM ----- BODY:
An interesting post on a blog I've never seen before, via Universal Hub. CindyLou encountered someone obviously fighting back tears on the Green Line, and wonders if her decision to hang back and say nothing was the right one:
...(W)hat do you do for a stranger on the T? Anything I could think of saying seemed intrusive, or presumptuous. I desperately wished I had another puppy with me to hand her, or something else cute & furry. Maybe even a smiling baby. Something that would be innocent and happy and non-threatening. I tried to offer her a smile, but she wasn't looking over, and I didn't want her to think I was gawking at her misery.
I personally would have left it alone. Very, very alone. Because she's probably embarrassed enough that she's flipping out in public already. If she's fighting the tears, she might be thinking no one sees them. Better to leave her with that illusion than to cause her further distress. There's also always the chance that she's just a drama queen. You don't know her, where she's coming from, or what she's upset about. She could be completely crazy. She could just be trying for attention. You'd have no idea what you'd be getting yourself into inserting yourself into a stranger's world like that. Better to leave well enough alone unless someone overtly asks you for help. Then again, I found this comment on CindyLou's blog quite beautiful also:
I recall once, while walking through an airport, I spied a woman who was just balling. Knowing it was the right thing to do, I walked halfway across the terminal, came right up to her, looked her directly in the eye, didn't say a word, put down my bags right and left, and held out my arms, into which she stepped and sobbed a bit more on my shoulder. When she was done, she mumbled her thanks, and I stepped back, picked up my bags and left, all without a word on my part. But that was an unusual case.
--------